- Do you like your legs?
- Maybe you say your hands have always looked young so that is your favorite.
- I have always been told I have perfect toes and therefore my feet are something I thought looked good in sandals.:-)
- Are you someone who always enjoyed a good session at the gym? Then maybe it is your biceps, great arms you like.
- My point here is in our day to day worldly lives we tend to think about our body parts or those of the opposite sex. “I am a leg man”, “oh, would you look at his strong arms”. As we drawer closer to the Lord God, we begin to understand the spiritual side of the parts of the body. God used some by their feet as they walk all over and share the gospel. Some by their hands and arms as they reach out to strangers and lend help in times of need to those hurting and it is done in the name of Jesus Christ, and bringing glory to the Father. Maybe you don’t feel you do anything significant and think I only go to work and home again. Yet maybe by an action of obedience to God those around you have seen Jesus even though you might have been unaware. I try to bring encouraging words to those around me. Sometimes they don’t want to hear a positive spin but as they have time to think about it they do appreciate it. We show compassion, we show grace, we show mercy. Most of all we are to show love. By showing all these things we are showing love. We can only show mercy and grace and compassion and love because our saviour Jesus Christ first loved us and had mercy on us and extends grace to us. Without His loving us first not one of us could begin to be a functioning part of the body of Christ. The man and woman who are leaving America to work in a part of the world to share Jesus Christ with those who have never heard of Him may seem to be the most important part of the body. Is it not obvious that without the encouraging words of those in our everyday workplaces, and without those who help by extending compassion to those in a homeless shelter or a battered woman’s shelter. Without those who stop to give money to the man or woman with a sign who in standing on the corner of a busy street or standing at the end of the parking lot at Wal-Mart with a sign. Without those who stop and take a minute to simply speak a kind word to an elderly man or woman eating alone in a restaurant or maybe surprising them by secretly picking up their tab. Maybe the person you took a minute to just speak a kind word to is a veteran from long ago and fought for our freedoms and just maybe they have no one now and just maybe you are the only one they might have the opportunity to interact with today.
- If you are still reading this then you and I can both see how vitally important every part of the body of Christ is. Just as our human bodies have different parts and some you never think about unless you hurt it and then you realize it plays a very important part. So your heart seems really important and it is, but if you break even a little toe or a little finger you begin to learn how important that little part of your own body is. That little toe that you never thought twice about. We take for granted all the parts of our bodies when we feel great! Those times when we feel great is only because all parts of the body are functioning well. I can’t help but think maybe when the bible speaks about how judgement will begin in the church, aka the body of Christ. Maybe the body of Christ needs a Dr. and Jesus is the great physician. Maybe some of the body is not working well and that is some of why we see so much anger in the world. I am certainly not saying that is totally why. We know because of what the word of God says that these things will and are going to come to pass. We also read that they will hate us but not because of us but because the world first hated Him. Because we love Him they will also hate us. Back to the body…We each play an important part regardless if you are a little toe or you are the heart. Let’s all use the gift we were given. You might only have one gift or maybe 10. If we are going to another nation or simply going to work everyday we each need to realize the importance that each one of us can play in the lives of those around us. WE ARE THE BODY!
For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office: So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another. Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.
Each of us who has come to believe in Jesus is a member of the body of Christ. Jesus is the “head” of His own body, so for those who were hoping for that role – it is already taken. This passage says “each member belongs to all the others”. Today I would like to you consider, in a very personal way, what that means. As we read on we find mention of various gifts being offered in service to the body of Christ, a direction that implies responsibility for each and every one of us. God has masterfully gifted each one of us in compliment to bring the body of Christ to completeness. Did you get that? The gift(s) you are given, those revealed to you and empowered by the Holy Spirit, those gift(s) have great purpose. Use them, and give God the glory!
Verse/Commentary courtesy of ‘Verse-A-Day’ android app.