I know that this is a few years old. It is more relevant today. May lives continue to be changed while we still have the opportunity.
Watch who you listen to. Follow Jesus Christ, hear the gospel of Jesus Christ! Help the message spread! Praise God! Hallelujah!
1 Corinthians 1:18 KJV
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
We will look at 3 kinds here. (This is my 2 cents worth so, take it as such.)
What is power?
Is power good or bad?
- I think money can be good or bad. Depends on whose hands it is in and if used to help others or used for bribery, drugs, or anything not of God’s purposes.
- Knowledge is once again dependent upon where you obtain it, what kind you obtain. Is it the knowledge of God or some type of worldly knowledge?
- Control of anyone apart from self control is bad. We should never in anyway try to control what another thinks or does as long as they are capable people and not in need due to disabilities but even then you would only help t h em make decisions but not in controlling things. (You know what I am trying to say here.)
Does man desire power?
- Evil or carnal men desire all the money they can obtain. A godly man would accept money to serve God with by helping those in need and therefore glorifying God.
- Carnal man may or may not seek knowledge. A godly man seeks the knowledge of God.
- Carnal man seeks to control others only for evil purposes whether he realizes it or not. I think most of us do this in some form and often unknowingly simply by trying to control a situation that could cause us to be more uncomfortable if we don’t control it. Even that is wrong. Self-control is the only control we should practice.
Help Me Be More Like You….I can’t do this on my own.
A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
This new commandment speaks the truth in love. Loving one another as Jesus loved us is the gospel, because it communicates that we are His, that He is worthy, and that we are changed because He first loved us. Loving someone begins with selflessness and surrender. We surrender to God because we know we cannot love others like this without His help, without being loved this way by Him. It is selfless because to love others like this, we must set ourselves aside and deny ourselves daily. This is like Jesus laying down His authority and power and choosing to die on a cross so that we may truly live because of that sacrifice. Remember, Jesus said “Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.” (Matthew 10:39) We find true life by loving one another as Jesus loves us.
Verse/Commentary courtesy of ‘Verse-A-Day’ android app.
Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me. Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not. Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me? He that is of God heareth God’s words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.
In verses 31-32 Jesus says, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” Jesus is addressing Jews who have believed Him, yet knowing their hearts He clarifies that they need to be set free. His audience is having a difficult time understanding why they need to be set free. Jesus responds that everyone who sins is a slave to sin. He confront them more by saying, “You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires.” Satan is in the business of twisting truth into lies and these folks are unable to see Jesus as the truth: the only way to God the Father. Holy Spirit, protect us from being unable to hear the truth. Reveal to us any corrupt allegiance that we have to evil, and let the light of Christ illuminate our hearts.
Verse/Commentary courtesy of ‘Verse-A-Day’ android app.
Before watching this one in-particular I had told a friend that the 6 day war suddenly reminded me of how God created the world and all in it in 6 days and then rested on the 7th. That suddenly came to my mind and then after I watched this and it mentioned the same. I could not help but to cry as I heard the shofar blow after they reached the wailing wall.
Are you watching? Are you reading the word of God? It is time for much more to happen!
You don’t like Israel you say? You have a list of reasons?
I would say that we each need to pray that the Lord God would show us where we are wrong in any way we think. Pray for God to circumcise (cut away) our hearts of anything wicked, of anything not in line with the will of our Father in Heaven. You see, it really does not matter what we think but only matters what God Almighty desires. His way is perfect, ALWAYS. One day we will see that.
3 That then the Lord thy God will turn thy captivity, and have compassion upon thee, and will return and gather thee from all the nations, whither the Lord thy God hath scattered thee.
4 If any of thine be driven out unto the outmost parts of heaven, from thence will the Lord thy God gather thee, and from thence will he fetch thee:
5 And the Lord thy God will bring thee into the land which thy fathers possessed, and thou shalt possess it; and he will do thee good, and multiply thee above thy fathers.
6 And the Lord thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live.
7 And the Lord thy God will put all these curses upon thine enemies, and on them that hate thee, which persecuted thee.
8 And thou shalt return and obey the voice of the Lord, and do all his commandments which I command thee this day.
9 And the Lord thy God will make thee plenteous in every work of thine hand, in the fruit of thy body, and in the fruit of thy cattle, and in the fruit of thy land, for good: for the Lord will again rejoice over thee for good, as he rejoiced over thy fathers:
10 If thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the Lord thy God, to keep his commandments and his statutes which are written in this book of the law, and if thou turn unto the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul.
11 For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off.
12 It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
13 Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
14 But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.
15 See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil;
16 In that I command thee this day to love the Lord thy God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commandments and his statutes and his judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply: and the Lord thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it.
17 But if thine heart turn away, so that thou wilt not hear, but shalt be drawn away, and worship other gods, and serve them;
18 I denounce unto you this day, that ye shall surely perish, and that ye shall not prolong your days upon the land, whither thou passest over Jordan to go to possess it.
19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:
20 That thou mayest love the Lord thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the Lord sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.
- Do you like your legs?
- Maybe you say your hands have always looked young so that is your favorite.
- I have always been told I have perfect toes and therefore my feet are something I thought looked good in sandals.:-)
- Are you someone who always enjoyed a good session at the gym? Then maybe it is your biceps, great arms you like.
- My point here is in our day to day worldly lives we tend to think about our body parts or those of the opposite sex. “I am a leg man”, “oh, would you look at his strong arms”. As we drawer closer to the Lord God, we begin to understand the spiritual side of the parts of the body. God used some by their feet as they walk all over and share the gospel. Some by their hands and arms as they reach out to strangers and lend help in times of need to those hurting and it is done in the name of Jesus Christ, and bringing glory to the Father. Maybe you don’t feel you do anything significant and think I only go to work and home again. Yet maybe by an action of obedience to God those around you have seen Jesus even though you might have been unaware. I try to bring encouraging words to those around me. Sometimes they don’t want to hear a positive spin but as they have time to think about it they do appreciate it. We show compassion, we show grace, we show mercy. Most of all we are to show love. By showing all these things we are showing love. We can only show mercy and grace and compassion and love because our saviour Jesus Christ first loved us and had mercy on us and extends grace to us. Without His loving us first not one of us could begin to be a functioning part of the body of Christ. The man and woman who are leaving America to work in a part of the world to share Jesus Christ with those who have never heard of Him may seem to be the most important part of the body. Is it not obvious that without the encouraging words of those in our everyday workplaces, and without those who help by extending compassion to those in a homeless shelter or a battered woman’s shelter. Without those who stop to give money to the man or woman with a sign who in standing on the corner of a busy street or standing at the end of the parking lot at Wal-Mart with a sign. Without those who stop and take a minute to simply speak a kind word to an elderly man or woman eating alone in a restaurant or maybe surprising them by secretly picking up their tab. Maybe the person you took a minute to just speak a kind word to is a veteran from long ago and fought for our freedoms and just maybe they have no one now and just maybe you are the only one they might have the opportunity to interact with today.
- If you are still reading this then you and I can both see how vitally important every part of the body of Christ is. Just as our human bodies have different parts and some you never think about unless you hurt it and then you realize it plays a very important part. So your heart seems really important and it is, but if you break even a little toe or a little finger you begin to learn how important that little part of your own body is. That little toe that you never thought twice about. We take for granted all the parts of our bodies when we feel great! Those times when we feel great is only because all parts of the body are functioning well. I can’t help but think maybe when the bible speaks about how judgement will begin in the church, aka the body of Christ. Maybe the body of Christ needs a Dr. and Jesus is the great physician. Maybe some of the body is not working well and that is some of why we see so much anger in the world. I am certainly not saying that is totally why. We know because of what the word of God says that these things will and are going to come to pass. We also read that they will hate us but not because of us but because the world first hated Him. Because we love Him they will also hate us. Back to the body…We each play an important part regardless if you are a little toe or you are the heart. Let’s all use the gift we were given. You might only have one gift or maybe 10. If we are going to another nation or simply going to work everyday we each need to realize the importance that each one of us can play in the lives of those around us. WE ARE THE BODY!
For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office: So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another. Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.
Each of us who has come to believe in Jesus is a member of the body of Christ. Jesus is the “head” of His own body, so for those who were hoping for that role – it is already taken. This passage says “each member belongs to all the others”. Today I would like to you consider, in a very personal way, what that means. As we read on we find mention of various gifts being offered in service to the body of Christ, a direction that implies responsibility for each and every one of us. God has masterfully gifted each one of us in compliment to bring the body of Christ to completeness. Did you get that? The gift(s) you are given, those revealed to you and empowered by the Holy Spirit, those gift(s) have great purpose. Use them, and give God the glory!
Verse/Commentary courtesy of ‘Verse-A-Day’ android app.
Life isn’t this slice of Heaven that the commercials you see on TV might try to convince you of. Marketing lies to the masses and whispers to each one quietly.
How you ask?
It seems, we here in America, think we probably are in need of the newest gadget they are pushing. For many it is impossible because you cannot afford it as you are struggling just to put food on the table.
Commercials have this way of showing the perfect or what would seem as perfect little families. All are laughing and having a great time! The ‘Leave it to Beaver’ show with all housewives only wishing and falling short of ever becoming a June Cleaver. (If you haven’theard of the show then forget the comment as you are simply too young.)
This leaves people who are not enjoying this level of perceived happiness feeling like something must be terribly wrong. Wrong with them or wrong with their spouse. I will buy this and certainly I am going to have this joy!
Some who are in the group simply trying to put food on the table might be left thinking, ‘if I could only have a better job so I could make enough money to buy this THEN, I might be happy like the rest of the world. ‘
The sooner each of us realizes that whether rich or poor we all have the same void. The same sense that something isn’t right. We are in need of something and so we chase things, long for things, buy things, become consumed with things. Most of us, if we are honest with ourselves and can admit it have been caught up in that LIE at some point in our life.
1 Timothy 6:7-8
For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
Stop watching and falling for the lie. God, the Lord Jesus Christ is the only one who can fill that pit, that void that we all have deep within our souls. Seek Him…
Jesus never said life would be wonderful. We tent c to think once we are saved things will finally change and our great happy life will arrive. NOPE. Jesus did say the following in
John 16:33…(just before He would be taken to be crucified)
These things I have spoken unto you, that ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation, but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous:
For praise is comely for the upright.
Praise the Lord with harp:
Sing unto him with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings.
Sing unto him a new song;
Play skilfully with a loud noise.
For the word of the Lord is right;
And all his works are done in truth.
He loveth righteousness and judgment:
The earth is full of the goodness of the Lord.
By the word of the Lord were the heavens made;
And all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.
He gathereth the waters of the sea together as an heap:
He layeth up the depth in storehouses.
Let all the earth fear the Lord:
Let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him.
For he spake, and it was done;
He commanded, and it stood fast.
The Lord bringeth the counsel of the heathen to nought:
He maketh the devices of the people of none effect.
The counsel of the Lord standeth for ever,
The thoughts of his heart to all generations.
Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord;
And the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.
The Lord looketh from heaven;
He beholdeth all the sons of men.
From the place of his habitation he looketh
Upon all the inhabitants of the earth.
He fashioneth their hearts alike;
He considereth all their works.
There is no king saved by the multitude of an host:
A mighty man is not delivered by much strength.
An horse is a vain thing for safety:
Neither shall he deliver any by his great strength.
Behold, the eye of the Lord is upon them that fear him,
Upon them that hope in his mercy;
To deliver their soul from death,
And to keep them alive in famine.
Our soul waiteth for the Lord:
He is our help and our shield.
For our heart shall rejoice in him,
Because we have trusted in his holy name.
Let thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us,
According as we hope in thee.
I will keep my words to a minimum. For mere words are not able to be spoken that can begin to describe how thankful I am. You my King, looked down upon me in my nakedness and filth and You saved me. Not because of me or anything I have or have not done, but because You are God and You loved me. That is why I am even able to begin to know You. Why I even began to have this desire You placed in my heart to seek You. In my small human nature this is not easy to understand. For Your ways are much more than ours. THANK YOU LORD GOD ALMIGHTY. ..THE BEGINNING AND THE END, THE ALPHA AND THE OMEGA!
For the land will be deserted by them and will enjoy its sabbaths while it lies desolate without them. They will pay for their sins because they rejected my laws and abhorred my decrees. Yet in spite of this, when they are in the land of their enemies, I will not reject them or abhor them so as to destroy them completely, breaking my covenant with them. I am the Lord their God. But for their sake I will remember the covenant with their ancestors whom I brought out of Egypt in the sight of the nations to be their God. I am the Lord.’”
God promises to not reject the Israelites. Throughout history, the nation of Israel would sin against God over and over again, only to be brought back to a state of hope because of a judge, prophet, King: ultimately by God Himself who chose to lead them back to Himself by His power. Our relationship with God is on God’s shoulders, and that is proved by Christ Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross. He is evidence that God has kept His promise for eternity. Once and for all Christ died for sins! God does not forget about covenants, and always keeps His promises.
Verse/Commentary courtesy of ‘Verse-A-Day’ android app.